Monday, September 25, 2017

Moultrie M-880i



The set up was easy and somewhat familiar and I had this camera taking photos on the range quickly. I noticed a new setting called WI-FI SD Card. Years ago I tested many cameras with a Wi-fi SD card from eye-fi and found that because the power was cut off after the image was saved the wi-fi card did not have time to send the image over wi-fi. My guess is that this setting will leave power to the SD card longer or all the time. Also notable are settings called AC Connected and Overwrite.

This is a small camera virtually identical in size to the M-880 we covered in 2013. The layout of the buttons and switches have changed. The display is still the two line LCD thus no photo viewer on this one. The 880i uses a hinged, camera in the back design which is convenient as the camera does not flop around when you open it.. It requires 8 AA batteries which are stored in a pop out tray.. It has slots for a strap and a python cable hole on the back of the camera as well as two tripod mount threaded receptacles one on the rear and one on the bottom. It supports photo, video and time lapse modes. The LED flash array cover is slightly tinted to take some of the shine off the array unlike the typical black we are used to.

The set up was easy and somewhat familiar and I had this camera (like MOULTRIE A-20I MINI GAME CAMERA ) taking photos on the range quickly. I noticed a new setting called WI-FI SD Card. Years ago I tested many cameras with a Wi-fi SD card from eye-fi and found that because the power was cut off after the image was saved the wi-fi card did not have time to send the image over wi-fi. My guess is that this setting will leave power to the SD card longer or all the time. Also notable are settings called AC and Overwrite.

I placed the camera in photo/motion mode in a dark room. I can see the flash but very faintly. I would put this one in the black flash category. Another interesting thing I noticed is that each time the camera triggered and captured a photo I could hear a long tone followed by a short tone. It is not very loud and I am guessing it is around 12 Khz. Unless you have good hearing you may not notice the tone but I am guessing that animals probably will if they are close. Also, I noticed that there is a filter clunk but only one as it transitions from light to dark and back.

I managed to get some range sample pictures. In comparing this camera to last year’s M-880 I feel that the image contrast is poorer and that the color saturation is less realistic. The sunny photos have a haziness which I believe is an over exposure problem.

Tonight I captured some flash range pictures. You should note that the first flash range pictures were taken with Motion Freeze = ON. You can tell that the 50 foot deer has horns but there is not a lot of detail. I have seen better but this is a no glow flash camera. Also, I tested the PIR sensing range and could only get this camera to trigger within 30 feet. I would not have believed this result but earlier I left the camera on the range and poured out a pile of corn at 35 feet. When I returned from lunch, I pulled the card, noticed the corn was gone. The only pics on the card were of me walking out with a bucket. No deer photos. I have gone through all the menu settings and there is no PIR sensitivity setting that I can find. The temp during the walk tests was 67F.

Compared to most cameras there is little foreground as it is cropped to create the wide screen aspect on the photos. We have seen this cropping on most wide screen formatted photos so you may need to tip it forward a bit compared to other cameras.

So far nothing about this camera is a deal breaker, but this sensitivity issue is going to require more testing. I also have the M-880, M-880C that I can use to compare sensitivity as they no doubt have the same fresnel and PIR.

After testing the M-880c, I found that its sensing range is identical to the M-880i. I can’t get it to trigger beyond 30 feet.

The sensing range is identical on the 880c as the 880i. Both cameras will not trigger beyond 30 feet. I did jumping jacks, slow walks, fast walks and the limbo. I can’t get it to trigger beyond 30 feet.

I am wondering if the pir sensing cone is aimed more down, which is the problem or is it something they can tweak in the firmware and provide an update? I sent my Moultrie contact an email and I hope they will get back with me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STRING TRIMMER BUYING GUIDE

Finding the best trimmer (like  POULAN PRO TRIMMER ) can be difficult. Luckily Back Yard Boss has laid it out for you here in our buyers ...